https://canadianwildblueberries.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/1.png 788 940 Sara MacIsaac https://canadianwildblueberries.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/logo.png Sara MacIsaac2020-06-29 16:18:422020-10-03 20:02:3515 Ways to Incorporate Wild Blueberries Into Your Diet
15 Ways to Incorporate Wild Blueberries Into Your Diet
As more and more people become interested in knowing where their food comes from, wild foods with low mileage are taking center stage. Wild blueberries are grown where mother nature intended and are never modified from their original state which makes them a powerhouse addition to your daily menu. Here are 15 ways to incorporate more wild blueberries into your diet.
- As stand-alone snacks – fresh or frozen! Grab a handful and enjoy. Wild blueberries are sweeter and more flavorful than their ordinary counterparts making them a great on-the-go snack. They also contain less water than cultivated berries which means they freeze and thaw really well!
- Bake them into muffins, loaves, and scones for a flavor and nutrition boost. Normally you’ll find recommendations to use fresh blueberries in your baking, however, because wild blueberries have so much less water they’re great for baking from frozen!
- Toss a handful into your pancake batter or top your waffles for a punch of colorful nutrition. Try adding wild blueberry syrup for a change of pace as well.
- Blend them into smoothies or smoothie bowls. Try this gorgeous blueberry swirl smoothie or get creative with smoothie bowls.
- Try wild blueberries on your next flatbread! Drizzle with balsamic reduction and top with goat cheese for a perfect pairing.
- Explore new cocktails that feature wild blueberries like a blueberry smash or a summer berry sangria. Sangria is a perfect summer drink and stretches a bottle of wine a little further than usual! Check out this sangria recipe for some inspiration.
- Toss a handful into a green salad. Try adding wild blueberries, walnuts and goat or feta cheese to baby greens and drizzle with a light vinaigrette for a fresh salad that will impress any skeptic.
- Add a little surprise to your next sandwich, panini or grilled cheese. Wild blueberries make the perfect addition to a grilled sandwich. They’re small enough to add punch without adding mess and your tastebuds will thank you. Try adding a smear of bacon jam & wild blueberries to your next grilled cheese and watch the magic happen.
- Add them to your next bowl of ice cream or frozen yogurt. They’re great fresh or frozen but if you’re looking for something more decadent, cook some wild blueberries in a bit of sugar for a syrupy reduction that’s a perfect complement to a cool treat.
- Keep a big bowl of fruit salad handy for a quick grab & go snack. Chop up whatever fresh fruit you have on hand, add a few handfuls of frozen wild blueberries, and toss with some lemon juice and mint.
- Elevate your ice cubes. The next time you make ice, drop a few wild blueberries (and other fruit) into the trays. Staying hydrated is an important part of a healthy lifestyle and adding a fun wild berry ice cube makes it even easier.
- Add them to your morning cereal, oatmeal, or overnight oats. It’s an oldie but a goodie!
- Try your hand at making blueberry jam. Sugar, wild blueberries and lemon juice are all you’ll need to make a quick batch of wild blueberry jam for your morning toast. Just cook it down in a saucepan until it thickens and voila!
- Use them as a stuffing for chicken or turkey. Mix ricotta or goat cheese with fresh herbs and wild blueberries then stuff your chicken breast with the mixture and bake for an elevated take on a simple chicken breast.
- Make a fruit salsa that includes wild blueberries. If you haven’t tried fruit salsa with your nachos yet, it’s time! The contrast between the sweet salsa and the savory cheese & chips is fantastic.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!